Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dance Blue-- A Mini Visual


Blog Post #11

Topic: Dance Blue Mini Marathon (2014)

    The above photo was taken at Lexington Catholic High School during their Dance Blue mini marathon last year. The photo was taken from a wn.com news article about the event. During the 2014 Dance Blue marathon, Lexington Catholic raised over $60,000 for the Dance Blue fund at the University of Kentucky.

    Unfortunately you cannot see me in this picture.  I attended the 2014 Dance Blue Mini Marathon, however, I was farther to the left than the angel of the camera.  But trust me I was there and I had a great time.  Not only did it get me service hours to complete my high school requirement, but I found myself having more fun than expected participating in all the events. During a mini-marathon a dance is taught to all the participants that incorporates multiple popular songs from that year.  This dance is performed every hour on the hour during the duration of the 5 hours of the marathon.  In between dances, participants can play games, eat food, make crafts, or just hang out, but like those at the University marathon they cannot sit down or sleep.

   While the mini-marathon is a great event at Lexington Catholic High School, a good question that warrants further research is if other high schools or middle schools also participate in mini-marathons as well.  

   As mentioned before, I had a great time at Dance Blue, so I believe that more high schools should do it.  This way when students get to the University of Kentucky they are already eager to participate in the 24-hour marathon.

--Stephen Ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment